Now that I am (almost) fully recovered, I guess I should blog about my HORRIBLE experience of the "piggy flu" as Mia calls it. I was nervous when my kids came down with it, because the mortality rate of pregnant women who get this sickness is 30%! My Dr. told me that at my last appt. ACK! Scary. I was SO, SO careful the whole time they had it, but alas, I still ended up with it.
The first day, I thought I had a bad head cold. I was thankful, because I was sure that I had something different than the kids had. I went through a whole box of tissues as my nose ran and ran and ran. That night my mom and dad came and my dad helped Kirt give me a blessing. I was sure I was going to be fine, so I went to bed. That night I woke up coughing about every 2 seconds, and every time I coughed it felt like my head was going to explode! I had a SUPER bad headache, but suffered for awhile because I AM PREGNANT, and I hate taking meds while I am pregnant!
The next day I gave in and took Tylenol for my headache. I called my Dr, and they strongly suggested I take the Tamiflu, because this flu is SO hard on pregnant women. Kirt went and picked it up, and I began the 10 day treatment. My cough persisted into the night, and finally at 3am, we made a trip to the ER because I was having trouble breathing. They told me, "Yep, you have the swine flu", "Your oxygen levels are fine", and "phenergan with codine is safe to take during pregnancy". I was SO miserable at that point, I had to give it a try. Codine makes me really sick, but I figured I couldn't be any sicker than I was, so I took it. And slept. For 2 days.
I don't really remember those two days, but I think I got up to use the bathroom and get a drink. Period. Luckily, Dallin was home with the "piggy flu" too, but had much milder symptoms, so he took care of the kids during the day (with GREAT help from my neighbor Heather) and Kirt ran the house.
After I surfaced again a few days later, I still couldn't do much. Hacking away, I got worn out REALLY quickly. I wish I could remember more details, but this sums it up: I have never been more sick in my LIFE! I finally felt a little better on day 4, but day 5 I was back in bed. Day 6 too. Day 7 I finally felt among the living again, but the Tamiflu was making me really nauseated and sick. It gave me a really bad headache too. I almost stopped taking it, but since the Dr. said that was a bad idea, I believed him and stuck it out. I sure hope the Tamiflu didn't do this baby any permanent damage!
I'm now on Day 14, and STILL struggle with energy at the end of the day. I do pretty well until about 5:00 and then I'm toast. They say it can take up to a month for a full recovery in pregnant women. Whew. I guess I'll feel better just in time for the Reno trip. :)
I am glad I survived it, but MAN that is NASTY STUFF! Hopefully my little peanut survived unscathed as well.
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment